When you get a dog, the best thing you can do is invest in a dog crate. They are incredibly beneficial and allow you to accomplish a lot of tasks easier and safer. Among the standard uses, such as toilet training, dog crates are fantastic when it comes to travel, whether it be by plane or by car. With planes specifically, dog crates are a great way to allow your pet to travel with you during your journey. As well as planes, having a crate during car journeys is equally important.
There are more reasons why securing your dog with a crate is an important thing during car travels. However, this article will focus on choosing the best crate for car travel, as there are many brands and designs to choose from. If you need help selecting a dog crate for car travel, continue to read this article.
What to Consider
When choosing a dog crate for car use, there are a number of considerations you need to make. If you get the wrong one, you’ll be giving yourself a harder time when it comes to moving and cleaning the crate. In addition, in the event of an accident, you need to make sure your pet is safe. Here are a few things you need to consider before you purchase a dog crate.
Think About the Material
When it comes to choosing the best dog crate for car travel, you really need to consider the material you’re going to be using. Each material has its benefits and limitations and choosing something with strength and lightness can be very important. Below are a few considerations you need to make, based on pet crate materials.
- Metal Crates - If I am completely honest, metal crates are one of the best materials to have if you’re going to be using the crate for vehicle use. Metal crates are incredibly strong and are designed for training and dog storage. They are also sometimes used for hunting and aggressive dogs. They are fairly heavy (unless you opt for aluminum) and can fit very snuggly into the boot of your car or truck. They have good ventilation and should be used if your dog is known to escape even the toughest of crates.
- Plastic Crates – Plastic crates are another crate option as they can be tough and lightweight. They also come in a variety of sizes, though can usually fit into any sized car. The benefit of a plastic crate is they tend to be easier to clean, which can be of use when you take your dog to a muddy park. The issue here is that they absorb smells, so, over time, the crate will begin to stink.
- Soft-Sided Crates – These crates are for short journeys and for smaller dogs. If you have a larger, more aggressive dog, we suggest you avoid these crates. They are incredibly easy to transport and store in the home, making them practical and useful for smaller tasks. The issues with these are that they can get muddy and sticky quickly, especially if you’re using them during walks. If you have a large dog that loves the outdoors, these crates might not be for you.
Think About the Brand
Thinking about the brand you’re getting is also very important. You want to make sure you are getting a top-notch brand, as you tend to get what you pay for. At Pet Crates Direct, we have a range of amazing brands that we’ve handpicked to give you the best options. Here are a few favorites when it comes to car travel.
- PetMate – PetMate is one of our favorite brands because of their stylish and practical plastic dog crates. They do tend to specialize in airline-approved crates but they can also be used for vehicle use as well. Their Sky Kennel is one of the most popular crates on the market because of its versatility. It can be used for both plane and car. It is lightweight and easy to clean. It is also very strong and works great with larger dogs.
- Zinger – Zinger is one of the few brands that specialize in metal (aluminum) crates. They are incredibly well-known for providing strong crates that are suited towards stronger, more persistent dogs when it comes to escaping. They have a collapsible crate that works great for quick trips and easy storage. If you’re looking for something bulkier, go with their escape artist crate.
- Midwest – Midwest is another favorite of ours and they provide a number of diverse crating options. In particular to cars, they have a pair of crates that work by slotting into the boot of the car side-by-side. This is an excellent option if you happen to have two dogs. They are strong and feature a wired design. The issue here is they may be heavy. However, they work great in any car, especially SUVs.
- MIM – If you’re looking for some very rugged, solid steel pet crates, MIM has an interesting range. They have incredibly strong dog crates that have been crash tested and are the only brand to offer this kind of reassurance. Their crates have emergency escape hatches and extra door security. If you’re worried about crashing with your dog inside, these crates are an excellent safety measure.
The Size of Your Dog Matters
One of the most important things you can do before you buy a dog crate for your car is to measure your dog. This is something many owners miss out and it’s a crucial step. Make sure that your dog is the right size for the crate.
You can measure your dog from the tip of their nose to the base of their tail. You should also measure them from the base of their feet to the top of their heads. Make sure they have enough room to move around, otherwise they might get a little uncomfortable.
Safety is Key
Getting a dog crate for car travel is a great decision because it drastically improves your dog’s safety. There are a number of dog crates you can choose from when shopping around and you need to make sure you get the right one. When first looking, select a material appropriate for the use and make sure to get a well-known brand. Most importantly, make sure to measure your dog before buying, as you may get the wrong size!
Share this post
- How to Select the Right Bed for Your Small Dog
There are eight important items you must consider when purchasing a bed for your dog. Considerations 1. Does it provi...
- New Age Pet: The Complete Guide
When it comes to getting a home for your dog, you instantly think of either a dog crate or a dog house. Both have a n...
- Mr Herzhers: Wicker Dog Crates?
Getting a dog crate is a great idea but there are so many options available to you as a new buyer. Many new buyers mi...
- K&H Pet Products: Who Are They and Why Should You Care?
Getting a pet crate is very important for both you and your pet. They will ensure that your pet has security and priv...